Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Sunday, August 17, 2008

Communing With Nature

The best of about twenty tries to take a picture of hummingbirds, and they aren't too shiny, appear below.


These days are so pleasant. Cheyenne set a temperature record low for a high for August: 49 degrees F. It was 40 degrees here at 6:30 a.m. when the dogs went out but it was just pleasantly cool here-warm in the sunshine and it was a perfect day to do something... or nothing. I put some tools and supplies away but mostly napped a little and enjoyed being alive. The land is beautiful this year and I soaked it in. There were few cars on the road and even the critters were content to just be.

Honey is acting a little goofy. I think spaying is in her near future. I always kind of regretted spaying Goody because she was no problem at all. But that was Goody and I pledged at the pound that I would take care of it. I have a feeling that Honey will be boy crazy. It would not hurt her to get settled down a little. She is a risk-taker. Being a dog on the Rez is risk enough without tempting fate. One time the boys and I counted 33 dead dogs on the highway between here and town. August -the dog days- are the worst.

I understand that the Olympics are going on. I don't get NBC out here. I used to enjoy watching them but I think they're kind of silly in some respects. A gold medal for B-B guns at thirty feet? N0w a duel would be interesting. I hope that Phelps boy turns out better than Mark Spitz. Spitz has been living in his own shadow for 30 years or so. Peaking too early is always a little sad to watch but I haven't had to cope with that myself- never peaked.
Posted by Picasa