Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Friday, September 19, 2008

Epiphany

My Grandpa Mason, the only one I really knew because he lived to a ripe old age of 96, used to drive me nuts. He was a great man , well read, gifted as an artist, musician and craftsman: unusual traits for a banker. When he would approach a task, in the years I knew him best, he seemed so slow, plodding, that I would roll my eyes, tap my toes, and before long, escape. In the midst of my current projects it suddenly hit me- I am becoming Grandpa Roy. Now I am driving myself nuts. What I would have done in an afternoon fifteen years ago gets so major and the effort, with the hands that drop things, the eyes that are not so sharp, the dexterity not so nimble, makes me want to swear. Not Grandpa's "pshaw," "For Cat's Sake, or "fiddlesticks," but real nasty swear words that we thought he didn't know until he had a stroke one day. He knew them all right.

Nonetheless, progress is being made. The van's equipage going to be unique if I can persevere. When it rolled around to supper time, I did not have much to work with so I stopped the organizing and put things in a pile, loaded up the hounds and we had a pleasant sojourn to McDonald's for some health food. Honey gets better with every time and is picking her spot so she can watch the scenery now. I thought it might be all right to leave them in the van while I made a quick foray into Wally World so we would have a choice on Friday. She had started to chew on a roll of paper towels but I was grateful it wasn't upholstery.

I called the Oregon kids to suss out if a visit would be welcome and when. Audrey was getting ready to camp out in the back yard. She has done this before with a little friend. They make it through the night. The new puppy was going along. They are in love with their puppy. He is a snuggler. Matt says he is like Gumby. You can position him and he stays-just likes to be close.
Early October for a visit. Jason is treating Matt to a Tony Robbins workshop in Orlando in late October.