Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Saturday, September 13, 2008

Plugging Along

It was right nippy last night but a NOAA weather check says things will get warmer. I was busy and productive yesterday and part of today. Partly to keep moving to keep the blood sugar down, though a little common sense tweaking of the Metformin seems to have helped that the most, but mostly to get stuff done. Today provided a little revelation-I ate two bites of Tony's Pizza-from the leftover meat half I got for the hounds, and I had a pounding heart almost immediately- nitrates? allergy? MSG? Something made me feel lousy. Also it appears the naps may be a result of low blood pressure. I cannot draw enough blood to get a glucose test after a nap. I turn into a turnip.

While it is too early to assess mortality from hurricane Ike, I can see why some folks elect to stay. It is the Chicken Little syndrome. Ike was supposed to the biggest, baddest storm since 1900. It turned out to be no such thing. But officialdom has to prepare for the worst- I can see their side too. Media hype gets in there also.

I finally took Buster on a long awaited ride in the car. Honey was a pill and wouldn't go. Then when we got back from the store she was a complete pill-just naughty and on a tear. We had to have a little chat and a nap together.

My Republic of Tea order came yesterday. Having finally gotten off anything carbonated in a can, I was burning through the flavored tea bags like crazy. I looked locally but nothing really compares. At that, some flavors are better than others. Some I will drink for health but Blackberry Sage is my favorite for taste, and it is healthful too.

You can probably tell my blogger friend in Casper and I razz each other a little.
He recounted the lost $60 tale on his blog and in passing let on he is a little worried about my frugality being a necessity. For some of us "beating the man" at his own game is the game. My friend Marilu exults in 13 cent wardrobes from the thrift store while paying big money for their Florida winter rent and wining and dining damn well. For me, whatever you don't spend, you get to keep-until something with batteries comes along.