Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Saturday, September 20, 2008

Amusements

Brother Rich's grandson Tristan is a happy baby and a handsome guy. His grandpappy always has nice things to say about him and is looking forward to Sunday brunch with him tomorrow. Tristan has doting parents. Tom is over the moon with his son. Had a good long chat with Rich tonight. Val was at the office catching up the books. They spent the morning as part of a group that rejuvenates Casper's riverwalk- picking up trash, beautifying, and planting 92 trees. Rich is going to have a hip replacement in October-long overdue. He has confidence in his doctor and has done his research.
I had quite a bit to chat about too. Miss Honey had a rush to the Vet yesterday. She had been playing chicken with the coyote yesterday-he was within sixty feet of the house when I went out to see what the barking was all about. Wily took right off. Then about thirty minutes later Honey came in and plopped right at my feet with her head on my foot. This happens at night sometimes but not in the morning. I looked at her and her head was swelling like a pumpkin. She and Buster loaded right up and I called the vet on the way. "Either a bee sting or a rattlesnake bite." I was surprised to learn the treatment is exactly the same for either. Getting the swelling down is the big thing. Dogs don't usually die from rattlesnake bites unless their breathing is stopped by the swelling. There can be lingering effects of the venom that can show up anytime later and can damage the heart. She looked like a Shar-pei by the time we got treatment. She got an intravenous cortisone shot and is on a course of Cipro and prednisone. By this morning she was nearly normal and is fine tonight. I have checked her carefully and have seen bees and yellowjackets out and about the last couple of days so I am thinking bee sting. I want to think bee sting.

I took both dogs to a party tonight at Halls. Some friends were up from Casper and Delores made delicious tortilla soup and grilled ham and swiss sandwiches and a fruit platter. Corona and Amber Bock beer (I paid off my contest winner). We had some good laughs. We searched a DVD movie of Bait Shop-starring Bill Engvall, shot in Florida and featuring our friend Jayne as an extra. We had to look quickly but we found her. What a hoot- Jayne's debut at age 68. Now she is a hanger on at the studios in Orlando in the snow bird season. This movie went straight to DVD but her other one is in theaters. The dogs did well- played nice with a cute little terrier named Arnie but Honey needs a lot of socialization. A very pleasant evening. Nice to be with nice people and hear of their adventures.
Posted by Picasa