Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

End of the Season

The Swamp cooler was drained, oiled and put to bed for the year. It hasn't run for weeks and the air leaks around it were providing a good draft as the temperatures dip into the low 30's at night. I caulked a window that seemed a little loose and filled a gap between wood and glass on another. "This old house," is 5 years older than I am. There is a storm window to install for that window- all the rest are self storing so I am getting buttoned up.

The crisp morning put me in the mood to cook so I made a pot of "chicken sink zuppa." My own recipe with an Italian accent and all members of the basic food groups, except for dairy and chocolate. Buster loves it and begs for more, Honey thought it was fine. She has been on an eating jag- the vet warned me the prednisone might do that but she has also done this before as she has a growth spurt. We took an after dark trip to town as the bottled water was gone. Honey got in without a leash-but she had to discover Buster was already ensconced. I did price checks between Wal-Mart and Dollar Tree. Dollar Tree wins most of the time but Wally matches some.

I paid my property taxes and am pleased to report that I am within a month or two of being dang near debt free. I vowed when I got on Medicare, the heart attack fund would be raided to pay off credit card debt. I was preserving that lump by using the credit cards. And I was trying to live off my Social Security alone. My pension goes to another bank to provide a ready reserve. Without the credit card payments I can almost exist on the Social Security check in a basic way-property taxes, car insurance premiums, license plates, etc, are examples of budget busters. The pension fund buys my fun, gifts, travel and Florida stay. My mom had a great attitude about her bills, large and small: "I'm just glad I have the money to pay them." Ditto. Which leads me to...

I found this satirical web site on the Paulson bailout plan of Wall Street. It fantasizes that we citizens might be accorded the same favor:

http://www.buymyshitpile.com/

It makes its point- the bailout as presently structured buys securities that are worthless or of unknown value. Congress was stampeded into an invasion of Iraq. I hope they will think this one through. I was shocked, shocked! I say, to see Wyoming's Senior Senator Mike Enzi among the skeptics for once.

And I do want to know who was supposed to be minding the store all along and why we should trust them, of all people, to formulate a solution. I guess it makes me cranky to have us "little folks" have to live by one standard while the big money people seem to live by no standards and get to walk. I want to see some perp walks. Lehman brothers set aside $2.5 billion for executive bonuses before declaring bankruptcy. Now there is shock and awe. I hate to say it but I remember Grover Norquist who is to conservative financial policy what William Kristol is to neo-con foreign policy, saying the only way to curb federal spending , "Is to starve the beast to death." Consider it starved. Was it on purpose? Did we truly "misunderestimate" George W Bush? I am still trying to figure out the compassionate part of "Compassionate Conservative."