Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Sunday, June 01, 2008

Ahhh...

Got my trashes hauled yesterday. Feels good. There was a generous pickup load that Thomas hauled off for me. Looks ever so much better and the temptation for less pampered critters than mine is removed. There seems to be a plethora of wild dogs (and cats) this year. The rez has been a dumping ground forever. There is one white dog with black face and curly tail that makes it to the yard but is gone like a shot at the sight of man or Buster. I watched a huge dog brown- with a docked tail-perhaps a mastiff, with my binoculars as it ate something where the cows had been grazing yesterday. It seemed to be accompanied by some chummy magpies- there was definitely a relationship there. It disappeared into a copse of Buffalo berry bushes.

Fits of sleep still fall on me. I was complaining to my (much younger) brother last night and he said "At least you don't fall asleep in the line to the bank drive-up window." Which apparently happened to him yesterday. He was behind a lady who was taking quite awhile and the next thing he knew he was quite alone in the drive-up-the cars to his right were gone too. He had no idea how long he had been out. The bank tactfully said nothing. Guess I don't feel so badly, now.
There is no doubt in my mind that the sleep has some benefits-legs are less swollen, appetite is less, frame of mind is good, perhaps the gut is shrinking.

Miss Honey was brilliant with the leash today. Short lesson and lots of praise because she seems to have the initial concept down. But we will reinforce daily so she performs well at Rich and Val's wedding.

The chores seem to be getting done around here. Getting some things caught up. I have lost Thomas for the summer- he is going to Fort Collins to find work near his birth dad. I tipped him well, telling him to stash some in his truck in case he needs to make a break for home. His mom and siblings are having a little difficulty with the break and I told him to be sure and call often- all Verizon, so no airtime is involved. Having the big trash load gone should allow me to keep things "Van size" in additional trips to the dump.

Had a good long gab with Lori. Those kids are very busy and have a lot of travel in the next month-they will come to the wedding. Juneau and the bird have become friends. If the kids sleep in and the bird starts complaining, he goes to keep it company.

We are having some beautiful days. Nice to be alive in Wyoming at this time.