Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The North Wind Doth Blow

"The North wind doth blow and we shall have snow,
And what will poor robin do then, poor thing?
He'll sit in a barn and keep himself warm
And hide his head under his wing, poor thing." Nursery Rhyme

It doth blow hard and it doth bring rain and snow and lighting and thunder. Wrapping a towel around the outlet of a swamp cooler with a forty mile an hour wind blowing through it is a mite trickier than you might imagine. Sixteen feet of baling twine finally did it.

I blew my resolution to drive the VW instead of a van two days running. Yesterday was a big load day and it was too nasty today. So tomorrow we are really, really, going to start using the VW to go to town. The need was brought home again with a $75.00 gas fill tonight. I spent two days tinkering with the VW"s sunroof. The apparatus that opens and closes it has been kaput since before I owned it. I got it back in its track and lubricated and screwed a part of a dog leash to it to make a convenient way to open and close it. A new OEM apparatus would cost about $300 and about that much to install it. Then we are getting into original cost territory. If I were proud, it might make a difference.

Miss Honey knows that if I get up and it is still dark outside it is just a potty break. But with dawn in the offing at 5:00 a.m. I am just out of luck. She greets the day so happily and I am not about to deny a puppy that thinks she needs to go out a chance to do just that. These early mornings are having a cumulative effect on me. I love them but I am getting tired. She, on the other hand, has been taking 3 hour siestas-new behavior that makes me worry she ate something to make herself sick but now I think she is going through a growth spurt and needs to rest. She was getting wary of me because I would snag her and we would go in the car. I've left the dogs home a couple of days- Buster to babysit-but she amazes me with what she gets into. Hard to figure out how to handle this. I don't want her being a reluctant rider or wary of me. She is fast approaching a weight that tells me lifting her into the car is a temporary thing.

Spoke to Matt and he got a pretty good report on his CAT-scan and surgeon exam. One more month of no weight on it- the donor bone is grafting O.K. and he now has a full range of motion brace and is supposed to start flexing exercises with two pound weights. Still is a long time to be laid up. Eve says he has lost 20 pounds.