Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day


Coffee and a cig on the back deck with lots of thoughts about mom and dad. They seem more remarkable as I age. I don't think that is mere sentimentality though there is some of that for sure. They were admirable in many ways and as for their shortcomings, they seem trifling as I get more age under my hat. Considering the times they gracefully survived, they did better than we are doing. Perhaps we have more clutter and cash but they came further and left us something! Bless 'em.

Heard from my brother Rich and son Matt. Underscore the paragraph above. It was nice to hear their voices and hear about how they were celebrating the day. I went to the Golden Corral and partook of the Mother's Day Buffet- a little higher $ than usual so the dogs had roast beef. I never use all three plates they proffer so I am guilt-free. In fact this was the big splurge of the week. I have been doing well on selections and portions and my body is grateful. (Can you say Ramen and Rice and veggies?)

My activity level is also higher. The Ford Van needs to go see the doctor so I am clearing out the dog paraphernalia so the "dog-house" can be removed for engine access. Tidied and cleaned in the RV. I was going to attack the projects that I bought supplies for but the batteries on my screwdriver were kaput. That was the utility aspect of the trip to town-getting a new electric screwdriver. That is almost as empowering as a sharpened pencil. Except you get to screw a lot instead of write.

Miss Honey was pretty good today though a busy bee. She dug a hole, found the cats that live under the trailer and explored under there, displayed fancy footwork that would have thrilled a soccer player and had a long play session with Buster. They are both pooped out ( hope Honey is, she was restless and looking in the house-took her out three times but it was dark).