Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Friday, May 02, 2008

Different Day

New three foot snowdrifts up on the Sweetwater delayed Sue's luncheon party plans. Polly and Lynda's son Ryan is home briefly from Iraq and they were coming down but they needed to attend to their critters. We get to anticipate that for another time. There I was semi-gussied up ( the compression stockings had to go back on, too- ouch) and needing to go for a joyful mission, I did. I took Honey to my old office to introduce her to Delores and Mike. She was a model dog-child (saved the wild stuff until we got home). It was so very nice to see them and visit a little. Asked if I liked Florida better than here, I honestly said they are completely different but that is good.

I went to Wal-Mart on my mission. I stopped at the deli for service and the lump behind the counter was all alone and laboriously slicing ham. She said she would be right with me and I continued to wait, wait, wait. Along comes Grandpa Harry on a scooter. He had a healing foot and I heard the history of the foot in ten year segments from the time he hurt it playing baseball as a youth and every insult to it since in excruciating (to me) detail. Harry was rather stingy when it came to paying for his own health care. Since Medicare commenced, he and his wife have decided the sky is the limit. He was miffed that Dr. Gose wouldn't approve a Rascal scooter for Irene. (Good for Dr. Gose!)I was looking for an out about the time he was telling how he buries llama turds under his tomato plants and THE Lump passed me over to wait on somebody else. Vesuvius erupted. "I didn't mean to ignore you." "Fact is, you did ignore me whether you intended to or not!" Stomp, stomp, stomp. What people better realize is that my "Give a shit attachment," only works sporadically. I am subject to going off...without embarassment or remorse.

Woke up to Honey's fuzzy face staring at my face- amusing. Should have known because Buster was snuggled tightly against my backside. She is coming along just fine. So is he. He is pretty tolerant but will tell her off without bloodshed. That is what is needed with this breed. They are pretty independent and very "packy." Pecking order is critical and the human had better not relax, but corrections must be mild and they "get it," and accept it.