Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Home in Wyoming!

Home in Wyoming. Arrived in daylight yesterday. It was like a time warp: Flaggers on 17 Mile Road as construction continues (starts again) Same faces in Wal-Mart.

Somewhere in the uber-windy plains of Texas, the Oklahoma panhandle, and eastern Colorado I got afflicted. I could smell dust the whole way and then my lungs started to fill up and I was coughing and big bubbles were coming out of my mouth. I did not feel sick per-se, just uncomfortable. The dueling Garmins were in agreement that I would reach Arapahoe at 2:30 in the morning so I decided we would stop at the Mulberry Inn in Fort Collins. Coughed all night but did manage to catch some shut-eye.

Managed to catch lunch in Casper with bro Rich and some of his friends. I was still feeling under the weather. The "Service engine soon" light came on and Rich advised me to head on home. So I did. I spent most of the night upright in my chair to alleviate the coughing. I still don't know know if I have a bug or an allergic reaction. My chest is still rattling and my guts are so sore from coughing that I dread each wheeze. But I am feeling some better-tomorrow will decide whether the doc needs to see me or not. I am fairly well equipped with basic meds and over the counter stuff.

It is cold here and still brown-I did not miss a lick of spring. Buster is so happy to be in his own stomping-place of his birth grounds. He had to go out 15 times yesterday as he remembered something else he needed to check out. He didn't raise a response from the neighbor dogs intil very early this morning. He instigated a big barking-fest. He was so pleaed with himself and wanted in the house NOW. He got all mushy and wanted to kiss my face in the night. He was so relaxed when I petted him. This is truly home for him.