Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Sunday, April 27, 2008

New Baby

I got my resolve up and took KFC to Sue's vowing I would leave with my new baby. I was horrified to learn that Sue had found homes for all of them and all were waiting on me as she had promised "pick of the litter" to me. In any case she is a chunk already so I am getting as much lap time as part of the bonding as I can. Her daddy is a Pyrenees-below, with her sister. Everything is going well. Buster is jealous but more in the "see me, see me, I am adorable too," sense. (It won't hurt him to try a little harder-he has gotten a little careless about minding lately). I've been a two-handed petter all afternoon. She is a self-contained dog-has a sense of dignity but will cry pitifully if she feels abandoned. She is smart and alert and very good. I put a pretty red collar and a blue leash on her in the van-good idea because she headed under the VW first thing. I am too old and fat to chase a puppy everyplace a puppy can go. I am feeling right now that she will be easy to train if I devote a lot of up-front time to catching her being good. The separation from the good dogs at Sue's went better than I anticipated. I don't think the other dogs hate me-yet. Struggling with names right now. I favor "trait names"" like 'Good-y) because praise and their name together are reinforcers. I will do the Native American thing for awhile and see what names suggest themselves: "Craps-in-Lodge? Rolls-in-Dung? Eats-Like-Horse?" She has already mastered the "don't kill" command.
She "went" outside, like a good girl. She was trying to find a nest so we all went to the bed and that was it. She settled right down for a nap. She seems to get hot pretty easily and is used to sleeping outside albeit with six other furballs so we will have to work that out. Sue took these pictures and sent them.

I'm getting the Medicare thing worked out. Part B and Part D premiums will come to about $110.00 per month but I will save about $150 a month on prescriptions so I am ahead by $140.00. The Medicare site is pretty cool-you plug in your drugs and they tell you how much you will have to pay--up front. Then you check plans. My pharmacist at Walgreen's said they process a lot of Humana ( the best plan cost-wise) but since brother Rich sells Blue Cross this mention is his invitation to bid. ( I have readers in Bosnia, India, Indonesia, New Zealand Norway and Chile and 43 states but my brothers are not among them. (Sorry buddy, you snooze, you lose.)
Posted by Picasa