Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Saturday, April 26, 2008

The Bluebird of Happiness adopted Lori

The Florida kids were swimming today in their pool and this fellow dropped in. He shared some bits of apple (in hand). Neighbors had an unused birdcage and "Bebo" is residing in the Solarium. Juneau thinks he is lunch. He is a Blue Indian ring-necked parakeet. Lots of parakeets exist is South Florida-many escapees. They seem to thrive. He is a handsome devil who knows how to flirt with the pretty girls.

I have been up to Sue's three times and still no pup has returned with me. I have been watching them and know which one I want but they seem so happy as a little band and Mose plays with them-a dogpile consisting of him and six pups is a beautiful sight. It is hard to break them up. Yet, what I know from experience is that this is a critical age for bonding and if they stay as a doggie pack too long, they will not be very suitable pets. So I think tomorrow I steel myself and steal a pup.

Lsst night Sue cooked dinner-Manicotti, which is labor intensive and turned out very well. A very pleasant evening just visiting. Rasty's absence is palpable. As time goes by and Sue deals with the various things that come up in ranch life, on her own, her confidence and sense of new possibility grows. It is nice to see. She got herself a Tom-Tom GPS before her trip south and we discussed how liberating a GPS is. As the old Indian said: "Me not lost, teepee lost." With a GPS neither is lost. Hers found the backroads on the Navajo reservation just fine.

Small town life: I got a call from my mail-lady. She noticed the gate was open. Did I want my held mail? Yes I did. I worked it diligently. I got my love note from Medicare and it threw me into a quandary. Of course I want the part A-hospitalization (no cost to me). Do I want the Part B? That covers tests, and medical stuff and costs about $100.00 per month Since, to date, my Doc visits and tests run about $250.00 per year, the question pops up whether it is better to take it or leave it. Part C is a supplemental plan that I can buy from a provider that may be more generous than part B. Then the Part D rears its ugly head and that is the prescription drug "benefit." With my monthly pill bill running about $240, it would seem to be a no brainer but there are so many plans and variables and co-pays, and you have to pay the premium to the insurance company-it is so confusing. I await further information in a booklet soon to be sent. Of course if this doggone cough doesn't go away (it ebbs and flows) it might all be moot as I am getting very tired because my sleep is interrupted.

Cool and sunny today. Really very nice if a quilted jacket is worn.

The Oregon kid is going in a wheelchair to announce at a cage fight tonight. His Wyoming father is wondering if the knee injury also caused brain damage. If he sets himself back, the flow of sympathy from this end will be measurable with an eyedropper.
Posted by Picasa