Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Not So Handy Andy

We are always the last to know: What I have seen in the mirror and others have noticed, is coming home internally; I am getting old, fading, going backwards, slowing down, pooping out, (add your own words here). It has always been so: I felt like I was 35 until I was 50. Felt like I was 50 until now. I had the ladder out today and got up on the roof of my mobile home/storage building to fix the drop of the electric line that recent winds fouled up. It went OK but the ladder climbing is not spry and hurts the bones. Grateful for the cell phone in case things went to hell on me. Tried to get the Lindy motorhome summer operational and discovered a freeze/leak after I took pains to winterize it. The leak is under the sink in close quarters and so, contorted and with my pants sliding down, I became very frustrated with my ineptitude, weight, inflexibility and less strength. I had to give myself a pep-talk. I can still do a lot, more slowly, and some things may need to be hired done. One foot in front of the other is the trick....and Lists!

Perhaps getting a puppy of a breed that usually lives 12 years was an act of optimism (or foolishness). Buster's breed is very long-lived though-23 so I need to make provisions perhaps.

The doggies played a lot today-they stick in the yard. I didn't watch them 100% of the time but Honey had wet spots so I know she was being mouthed. She is definitely the instigator. Buster went to bed early. It is good for them both.

Saw life at the old Harrington Place (Delaunays live there but they still call my place the Davis place or the Peterson Place in spite of the fact I have lived here 30 years, so I treat others according to local custom.) The green pickup went up to the top of the 80 where the sheep were hanging out. Haven't seen any lights on in the new house, though.

The Feglers are driving the old green Dodge pickup they reported stolen last year. I haven't heard that story yet. I'll bet it is a good one.