Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Sunday, May 04, 2008

Honey takes a ride

Going in the car is not one of Honey's favorite things to do. To save myself a chase, I scooped her up and put her in the car before I loaded Buster. She did fine after a a few reassuring pats. She has figured out the treat part. I was cooling the "flame broiled patties" and dividing them and she was all of a sudden in the front seat.

It is always a puzzle what animals understand. Friend Mike said his neighbor who has aging horses has had to bury a few over the past years. He has one old horse left and he was looking pretty sad last fall so he hired a backhoe to dig the hole before the ground froze. The horse checked out the hole and did his best to gallop and whinny all winter long. Made it to Spring in fine shape.

Miss Honey disappeared twice for awhile after we returned this evening. So I got the leash out. We had a few tug of war matches and a "take down" and a time-out. After I thought I had won the day I left the leash on her and was scratching Buster. Looked over and Honey had the leash cut halfway through with her puppy teeth. I have a feeling the battle of wills with her is not going to be a cakewalk. An unruly 100 pound dog is not an option.

Almost got myself in a real jam today. I have been working at reducing the "spare tire" (for an eighteen wheeler! ) Faded too far, had a low sugar incident-not out, but very low. Figured it out finally and took steps but you feel lousy for awhile afterwards. Must have had too much glucophage for the amount of food (admittedly not much). Testing will have to be more frequent for awhile.
Posted by Picasa