Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Saturday, May 17, 2008

Pastoral Picture

The view from my deck with the Sony camera and a long lens. I never get tired of this view. There are horses, cows, llamas, coyotes, geese, ducks, pheasants, foxes, Sandhill cranes, eagles, owls, and other birds, people, and seasonal changes to watch- my own little "aquarium." I unlimbered the Sony in preparation to go to Sue and Rasty's to observe the shearing of the sheep. The shearers called from Rawlins about 9:00 a.m. and told Sue they were on their way- they were supposed to be at the ranch at that time. Meanwhile a crew of helpers from as far away as 50 miles were on hold. The shearers finally arrived in Lander about 3:00 p.m. What is normally a two hour drive took six plus! We are on for 8:00 a.m. tomorrow and Sue is sending a big old Indian kid to gather them up. I felt bad because Sue felt bad but what are you going to do? She is kind of held hostage- until the shearing is over, but these birds better do a good job and be gentle with the sheep or else. They have used up any grace that might have been accorded them.

During the delay, I went to town. I bent over at the Deli counter and the clerk whom I have known for years said the top of my head looked like her husband's- he is tall and always has a scab on his head too. My head must be a sight. I've kind of had the slows the last couple of days- swelly legs, but did roust myself to do some repair work on the house exterior and some other chores. Started prepping the swamp cooler. It was 82 today-beautiful, and the window fan is just great but the day is coming...

Matt called. They had arrested his attacker- he had to do a photo line up yesterday and identified the guy. He is being held on $1 million bond as a flight risk. We have a name and I had credit on one of those Internet background check deals so I looked him up. Unfortunately it doesn't appear he has much in the way of assets but he does have a criminal record. Grand Jury time. Matt is also to go to Eugene Monday for a CAT-scan and a check on his progress.

The Florida kids called late last night- see guilt still does work if not as swiftly as it used to. Had a good visit. The bird still lives with them and has a fancy rolling cage. Juneau hurt his leg playing fetch and went to night clinic because he was gimping seriously. He seems to have spontaneously cured by today. They have been busy.

The dogs played hard all day long today and I had a brief "simmer down" session with Honey tonight. She amazes me- she "got it"- knew exactly what the problem was and settled right down for a snooze.

I think I will go count some sheep so I can get up and go do the same tomorrow morning.
Posted by Picasa