Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Sunday, May 18, 2008

Baa, Baa, Black Sheep, Have You Any Wool?

Sheep shearers showed, set up in the little barn and the poor sheep were darn near outnumbered by helpers. It went swimmingly. Sue had it organized down to collecting the fleeces individually, and lunch for 15 or so. The shearers were forgiven for their Saturday no-show, in the end. They worked hard and had minimal nicks on the sheep. Sue gave them lunch, hugs and a tip in addition to lining up several other small bands for them to shear. They were staying in a motel in town which was good: their RV was one of the worst I have ever seen.
Mia was given the wrong motel room number so some poor white dude was awakened at 7:00 a.m. by a 6'3", 300 pound Indian with tattoos asking "Ready to shear some sheep?" They did the same thing to me- they wanted prints of pictures so I dropped them by about 4:30 p.m. and got the same dude. He knew how to direct traffic at this point.
Sue sells wool for crafters on eBay and the black fleeces are prized. Her grandson Hollis gathered this beautiful black wool for a bag. A Wyoming wool processor is starting up in Buffalo, WY. Sue will be one of the first customers. If I told you how diverse the crowd was you wouldn't believe it so I won't. But apparently diversity works- everybody had a good time and got a lot done.
Breaking bread together always brings out the best- the shearers, though limited English speakers, let their personalities out a bit.
More pictures at the web album which can be accessed through the link below:
Shearing Sheep 2008

Posted by Picasa