Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Friday, May 30, 2008

Running Buddies

Using the long lens, Buster and Honey were caught ranging in the pasture- finding snacks and sniffs. The pictures are better if you click on them to enlarge them. Honey would love to play with the older llama baby. The way it runs and bucks and scampers is playfulness made visible. She does not have the same relationship with the heifers who sedately haze her off their territory. She got too big for her britches today and I used Valerie's technique that she had to use with alpha Lab female. Grab the front paws and put them in the lap and have a serious talk until the struggling stops. Honey didn't like this one bit either but I have to get this under control. I hate doing it but I hate the idea of the things that could happen on this highway even more. As one website said, your dogs need to respect you first, love you second. They are DEPENDENTS- like having a toddler forever. They don't have the gift (or curse) of foresight. They need to mind for their own good.

Thomas will come to haul trash tomorrow. Now I am apologizing to the (imaginary?) coons. Honey was on the porch night before last and yelped and ran to my side- I went outside and one critter zoomed by, then another- big cats. Then a surprise third one got revenge- startled me. The next morning the neighbor's big white dog was enjoying a rummage when we got up. Buster turned himself into a growling rocket and the dog didn't look back until he was safely home. Busty lives to avoid conflict but when it is unavoidable he steps up- that is courage. So the attractive nuisance will go away tomorrow morning.
Posted by Picasa