Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Saturday, May 24, 2008

Slow Learners or Like to Play?

After getting stuck yesterday with fewer bales on the trailer, and a night long rainstorm last night, the neighbors added a ton or two of hay and tried to get away with it. They had to get the tractor. And they made it on my land with mud bog making equipment. I have to admit, in my ranching days, getting stuck provided a welcome break in the monotony and they seemed to enjoy the challenge this morning. I very nearly missed it because after a 6 a.m. wakeup, potty the dogs, make a cup of coffee, fall asleep in the chair scenario, I was oblivious. Buster woke me up because he wanted to know about the commotion out there. It was a cool day and another nap took place in the afternoon. The doggies were still dozing at my feet when I slipped out to the VW and went to town for dinner for all. Pushed the sun roof back and turned up the radio and shed all those years back to 1976 and cruising in a "76" Superbeetle. It was almost as if I still had hair on my head. Topped the gas tank up with two gallons and the 18 year old clerk at the Loaf and Jug said she really liked my car. Validation!....32 years too late but still nice.

There is a new llama baby for me to watch. So cute and born so "ready to go." She was sniffing her cousin and running within minutes of hitting the earth. Her cousin is months older than she and as I was watching he was playing tag with a bunny.

Got the leash out and worked with Honey on coming when called. I have a breed specific training manual coming from Amazon. I knew I needed it when it said it had help on "selective deafness." The girl has it. With the lead on she did pretty well- some bucking and fighting but she caught on really quickly. I think she was not too traumatized-enjoyed the praise anyway.
Posted by Picasa