Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Friday, March 14, 2008

Another Crappy Day in Paradise

Coolish day to start, Warm day later, Cool evening. Just the sort of day to catch up on sleep. So I did. Rode the bike halfway around the circle and found Bob Rosenberg in a talkative mood so we sat outside his Wanderlodge and had a great talk. Good laughs and philosophy. His wife Jan came back from Yoga and Tai Chi classes and it was nice to see his face light up when he saw her driving around the bend. We all three visited while she spent her energy weeding their flower bed. I needed some intelligent conversation. I recall the old saying "Small minds talk about people, Average minds talk about things or events, Great minds talk about ideas." Of course I do my share in the first two categories but it is very refreshing to take a walk among ideas. He told a story about being on an elevator in his office building in NYC. Mel Brooks and Gene Shallit got on and they were talking. Bob was listening. The elevator came to a stop on the main floor and Mel Brooks put out his hands and said "Wait!" Then he said "All Jews should exit the elevator." They all did exit...laughing.

I was delighted to find that Audrey's Christmas present, ordered November 12, 2007 arrived finally. Perhaps my nagging call the other day did it. I will FedEx it Monday. It is a child-sized computer- one of the rare One Laptop per Child computers. I ordered two on the give one get one plan which means I bought two for third-world children and two for gifts. They are pretty slick.

Jason was still feeling poorly. By the time he called I had already figured out the lay of the land and was buying takeout at China Panda.
Rain this evening.
Posted by Picasa