Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Thursday, October 18, 2007

The Oregon Trail

We left at 4:30 a.m. in the hope of beating a storm due in Salt Lake City at the same time we intended to get there. We were successful but we coincided with it at the rest stop just this side of Wendover, Utah. We had time to snap a picture of the storm arriving on the salt lake flats and seek shelter under the canopy at the rest stop. Nap time for a hour's deep sleep. I tossed my pillow on the passenger side and we hit the road after the storm passed.
The pillow was too inviting for Buster who is great at finding comfy spots at the right temperature for him. Isn't he cute? My little buddy.
The stormy weather provided spectacular lights and shadows on the Nevada landscape. This one was snapped at a picture stop somewhere after Wells, Nevada but before Beowawe. We made it to Winnemucca about 10:00 p.m. and had to settle for a non-smoking room. So we had a few walks. It may be entirely my imagination-because I don't know if it is even possible or how a dog's brain works but Buster took inordinate interest in Goodie's old piddle spots- he lingered and was thinking something. Since to him she left in the car and never returned...


This looks back toward Denio Junction in the 204 mile -no gas station, no civilization stretch of highway 140. I could become a desert rat pretty easily- this is intriguing and beautiful country. Even with a late start and picture stops, we made it to Lakeview, OR 15 minutes before the Happy Horse Antique Shop and Deli stopped serving food. Homemade sausage and cabbage soup and a Reuben sandwich were a treat. (Buster had a plain turkey and mayo sandwich-for two meals today.) Clean wholesome food made by loving Christian hands. (no cynicism here-these are real Christians-not the pain in the ass, judgemental ones.) I look forward to these stops.

We made it to Matt's house about 8:00 p.m. and hugged the adults. Audrey, the adorable, was shy and coy but favored me with a voluntary lap-sit before she went off to bed. She is a riot. Definitely in charge of herself and whoever else she can get away with, She is going to give her folks a run for their money. We watched Audrey's "Kid's Yoga" DVD. I want one-I finally got what Yoga does- this was pitched at my level. Jason was to arrive at midnight. The old man needed to put his feet up so I will see all in the morning. Glad to be here even in the rain.
Posted by Picasa