Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Friday, October 12, 2007

Murder and Mayhem in my Backyard

I was restoring the traveling gear in the Van. I had tricked Buster into going in the house in order to avoid working around him-car door open, he is in it. I heard some dogs yipping in the pasture and went to see what was up. A pack of dogs was attacking the male llama. I started off toward them yelling "Git" and they were undisturbed. Pete was fighting valiantly when I started toward them but he was down in minutes with six dogs attacking him. I was approaching throwing distance when I realized these dogs could turn on me. Fortunately, an Indian man named Damien had been hunting down by the river and arrived about the same time and at my urging took a few shots which did not hit anything. These dogs were intent. A few backed off and waited until they could return even as we stood next to poor Pete, some others attacked the mama llamas and their babies. Damien shot again and some took off toward the river. I had my cell phone and called Paula and told her to bring a gun. She arrived pretty quickly Aaron in T-shirt and underpants fresh from the shower. Pete, the llama, was down and making horrible noises-his face torn completely off. I pointed out one of the dogs and Paula wounded it on her second shot. Damien left to retrieve his pack. Darkness was closing in. After consulting with Thayne, Paula dispatched the llama as the kinder thing to do. It might have survived the attack but its mutilated face would have frozen this winter.

The female llamas started making their warning sound again so I knew the dogs were still lurking. We decided to put the llamas in the corral or barn. That was not an easy task in the state they were in. I got my Ford Ranger 4WD and a little spotlight and my .22 and patrolled a little while we herded the llamas. Thomas arrived to help. Some other headlights appeared. It was the BIA police. The one dog Paula wounded made it home and the Norses called the cops on us for shooting their killer dog! The policeman was cool and after he heard the story went back to Norses and told them to get ready to be sued for the cost of a llama-their complaint was a confession. Keeping their dogs home would keep them safe. (like THAT will happen)

These dogs were "wilding" and will kill again. I will shoot on sight. I called the neighbors with sheep and warned them to keep an eye out. This was very disturbing. I was fond of that llama and his harem. It was a terrible way to die. Wilding dogs are very scary. Now I understand those news stories of people getting killed by dogs. As much as I love domestic dogs, there is another perspective to keep in mind.