Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Tuesday, October 09, 2007

It's Always Something

It's always something here in the wild west. Last night I missed the "clunk-chunk" sound my refrigerator makes when the compressor stops. It had stopped for the last time. It has been living on borrowed time for about six years. I bought it in 1974 so I can't complain (think "Harvest Gold") about the value, but I can complain about the inconvenience and expense at this time. Called Sue this morning to see if she had freezer space. She said her freezer was filled with dead porcupines. (She dyes and sells quills on eBay) but her fridge had some empty freezer space. I wanted to donate the food-rather than waste it-I will deal with getting a new refrigerator after I come back from Oregon. I also found out she was having trouble medicating the mama llama and volunteered to help with that when I brought the food up.

Rasty was having his nap in the chair so we entered the barn and commenced to have a little rodeo. The llama has a halter and a rope and doesn't mind it a bit as long as nobody is holding the other end. That was my job. Sue's was to take a squirt bottle of medication and try to hit the llama in the vagina. Llamas do not find this either dignified nor pleasantly refreshing. So the north end of the llama headed south and so did I. (repeat several times). Meanwhile, the baby was racing around underfoot. The barn was a virtual dust bowl. We got her done. Put another check mark in the column "Things I never expected to do in my lifetime."

I met the ewe and her new triplets-two conventional ones and a calico. The ewe seems to have milk enough right now for the lambs are tiny and are doing just fine. They had some lunch and their little tails were wriggling with joy. Cute.

The picture above was shot by Sue from her front yard. The frosty nights are turning everything golden.
Posted by Picasa