Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Friday, September 21, 2007

Spontaneous Ingestion


Janet e-mailed yesterday saying she had found a new restaurant on the reservation, did I want to give it a try? I did, and she cracked the whip on her menfolk so we met at their place and convoyed to Los Palmas in suburban Fort Washakie. We passed through a cattle drive on the way. These are good people-just the kind you want to have on an adventure-gastronomical, or otherwise.
Las Palmas is kind of spartan. Their other kitchen can be hauled behind a truck and shows up at various powwows and festivals. The cuisine is Tex-Mex and is C+ or B-. Better than cooking for yourself but nothing to write home about.

Our waitress had pretty severe visual problems but the order taking went well. I had a hard time containing myself because Hollis and I both noticed her try to set a coke down where she thought a shelf should be and it hit the floor like a rock. This is not making fun of the handicapped but it was like slapstick. It really did look funny. When our plates were arriving I thought one was going to miss the table.


We visited about sundry-Guy unbent a little about his childhood -six kids and two adults living in a little log cabin down by the river on the old place. The swamp cooler that you had to throw water on to wet the cooling pads but you had to shut it off before or it would shock you-Guy learned this the hard way. He passed on this wisdom by getting one of his brothers to pee on it.

Their life this year has not always been smooth with a new house in progress, new crops, and the normal stuff of things breaking, prairie dogs eating the corn seed, and now the corn chopper stalled in Riverton. Guy's childhood prepared him for a little uncertainty. Janet's, not so much, but she is a good scout and soldiers on. Son Hollis has been a huge help and he is getting ready to go be a hunting guide in October. He likes it, and is good at it-he even traps, and he gets big tips from the hunters. Janet is so practical and down to earth-she is in charge of all accounts payable for the Lander School District- a big job. Good people.

They have fed me several times this year and since my cooking is practically non-existent these days, I tricked them on the check. I am still not even but there is some time left. Their company is more than worth it to me, anyway.

No close up of Janet this time-until the shiner goes away. She got hit in the face with a barstool- no kidding! (She was helping their insuror measure the new house and when she stood up she tried to lift the kitchen counter barstool with her cheekbone- that is her story and she's sticking to it!)


Alas! The food picture was forgotten at the pre-stage. Only an after picture of fine Chinette.

Friday night on the Wind River Reservation.

Buster is playing games tonight-he has wanted to go out three times. I missed a treat this evening and he is really working for it. He has invented an imminent emergency outside this time. Truth is, as sole dog, he is getting a little pudgy but I am about to give in. I created this monster.


Posted by Picasa