Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Reservations off the Reservation

Successfully made a reservation at John Prince Campground in Florida. I will be in on the 2nd of December and already my favored spaces were gone! There must be some fudging going on- or not,perhaps November holdovers because the office was closed yesterday for Labor Day-those would be December 1, reservations. I will be out March 12 and am now looking at how I can get another month. Apparently my whining last year was memorable because Lisa asked if I survived the winter in Wyoming. But, she admitted the pressure to even get into the park keeps reservations sliding to earlier and earlier dates. I will be across the field from my old haunts in 239. She said they would keep an eye out for cancellations for me. That just may be pacification, though. I will be hitting the road just after Thanksgiving.

There is a distinct fall feeling to the days here which I like. I like it even more because it does not portend the frigid winter for me. Fall has long been a favored season.

I hit the greeting card section-even with all the birthdays, the "sympathy cards" are outrunning the other greetings. People are tipping over at an alarming rate. Some sad early departures, some in the fullness of time. I hate the cards, I hate the word "sympathy" because it implies pity. I wish they made empathy cards. We aren't getting off the planet without experiencing loss-it is part and parcel of the experience. I don't pity anybody-that is condescending, but I do understand the pain of loss and want to be supportive. Hallmark needs me or I need to start my own greeting card business.

I had a dizzy weekend. Sometimes it is the meds, this time I think an inner ear infection. I upped the tetracycline and feel better today.