Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Sunday, August 26, 2007

Dis N' Dat

This Sunday has been one of the most luxurious do-nothing days in quite awhile. Nice.

Saturday I went up to "sit" with Rasty while Sue went to a meeting with his kids who are seeing Rasty fade from Alzheimer's. They want to help and Sue gave them some ideas. Rasty and I had a good time- fiddled with the irrigation on Sue's garden, whacked a few weeds, petted the horses and gabbed as best we could. Petted the dogs, and gave them biscuits I always carry for the neighbor dogs.

Eve is in Sedona for a Celebration of Life for a friend of hers. That place is so "New Agey" that he probably attended.

Speaking of "New Age," the "Nob solitude" cleared my spiritual sinuses. I have some modest gifts in that area and they seemed to just return full blown up there. They are along the line of empathy-like Deanna Troi from Star Trek. Years ago I used it like a party trick and scared the bejabbers out of some folks. My Eagle Feathers (completely legal Sundance Blessed) came from a person I read in a bar. Shameful. But I like having them back and I am going to work with them. Nurture them. And try to control them-they can become exhausting especially when around hurting people for too long or too much. I have some ideas about how I can try to control them. I haven't consciously used them for much besides silently calling my dogs for a long time. Dogs are naturally empathic and telepathic.

Lori and I had a great gab-got caught up on her doings when I called to thank them for their birthday gifts-one a camera tripod that wraps around anything. I told Jason it was probably designed for bedposts. I could practically hear him shudder over the phone-Too Much Information, Dad!" The other gift is a regular old fashioned telephone handset that plugs into your cell phone. "Brilliant." I really, really, like it and ordered some more today.

Lori's Belize cruise with her nephew and her brother was great and eventful. Brother Clinton fell in love and failed to come home one night- and was finally paged from oblivion just as they were getting ready to turn the ship around to look for him. The Captain made him sign a paper that he would be good from then on. So funny. Nephew Blake and his girlfriend announced their engagement on the cruise. It was the friggin' LOVE BOAT! Definitely made some memories.
Here is Clinton with his Russian "Jewish Princess" Connecticut schoolteacher. They have been racking up the frequent flyer miles between Connecticut and Texas. He teaches too and is the golf coach. Fall golf season has started. We shall see what we will see. Not dull, anyway.