Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Thursday, August 23, 2007

Will you still need me, Will you still feed me, When I'm 64?

The answer my friend, is YES! I was suspicious of a plot when Sue invited me for dinner on this day-my birthday, but decided it would be a surprise either way-birthday celebration or not. It was just right-the right people, the right size, the right amount of hooplah for somebody who is not crazy about hooplah. What was over the top was the grub. Janet brought homegrown corn, Sue had homegrown cucumbers and raspberry sauce for cheesecake and homemade rolls, marinated roast, fresh cut fruit, mashed potatoes, and homegrown good wishes from two generations of my friends. If this wasn't nice I don't know what is. I am a lucky man.
I heard from significant others- kids, brothers, aunties, friends via phone or cards. Fun gifts from the dinner crowd-"Buffalo Turds"- chocolates, and Huckleberry chocolates, Salt water taffy, and a T-shirt is on it's way. Cards: Rasty signed and it almost broke my heart right on the spot. That is a keeper. Some heroes never hit the front page.

Inquired of Sue how she did at the Fair-she wouldn't volunteer, but she did quite well: a couple of blues and a couple of red ribbons. One of the reds was this wool sculpture which is the greatest. Our friends Lynda (top honors) and Bobbie did very well in this category also.

Posted by Picasa