Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Sunday, August 12, 2007

Rarer than the Perseids

The phone rang today. I had conversations with Cheryl and Audrey from Lake Tahoe; there for a family reunion- Audrey was having trouble with the concept of cousins and squirt guns-if you squirt, you are going to get squirted. Eve; "What am I going to do with my life when I grow up." Matt; home with 14 year old Tucker dog who had a really bad go-to-the-hospital nosebleed the other night-may go to Tahoe or not. Delores; who after summer in West Virginia has to figure out where she is when she wakes up (I know this phenomenon). Jason; who after a solid month of company amidst travels for work opted to stay home with Juneau while Lori went to Canyon, Texas for her niece's wedding. He was enjoying his time with his quirky boy. Nice long gabs with all. Red Letter day.

I went to town this morning but my wallet didn't. I had the JB's brunch- pretty dismal but Buster enjoyed the sausages, and I bought three packs of weeds-and that is as far as the pocket change went. Cooked dinner tonight-crock-pot stuff, and have been chasing Buster to try to give him a dose of ear mite medicine. He hates it but it makes him feel better almost immediately. I'll get him before it is all over.

And the Perseids have put on a show. Living in the country does have its advantages. I am a little spooked by the coyotes, though. There was one singing very close to the house night before last-I am talking 30 feet and a deeper voice-a big fella, and last night a pack was singing across the road-at least eight different voices. Buster has the good sense to give a defiant bark or two and head for the house.

The EPA helicopters quit circling the area yesterday afternoon. They never did locate the source of all those noxious greenhouse gases. I am feeling better.