Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Monday, July 23, 2007

Let there Be Sound!

My most recent shipment of hearing aids arrived. Except they are not hearing aids (wink, wink, nudge, nudge) NOR are they legal for spying on people. They are designed and sold specifically for detecting Buck flatus at a distance. Woodland Whisper brand, made in China, I ordered two kinds. One set of in the ear (two, sold by the pair so the direction of said Buck flatus can be determined-$40 for the pair.) The other set me back $20 for an over the ear, behind the ear model. My primary problem is in my right ear and I am sure it stems from a ruptured ear drum I suffered long ago-old Riverton Hospital days-twenty years ago or more.

The ITE (stick it in yer ear, bub.) is smaller has better controls (on/off, volume, and tone) than the Ampli-ear. The ear molds are much more comfortable. It has plenty of amplification. Fairly unobtrusive but visible. To my surprise, the behind the ear one is the winner so far. It has a bigger battery, tone and volume and on/off controls, and is very comfortable to wear. Forgettable, and the least obtrusive particularly since I need a haircut. The sound is good. Both will detect flatus at a yard so far. Preliminary ratings: (low number = better) Ampli-Ear = 3, Woodland Whisper ITE = 2, Woodland Whisper VTC = 1. Very early results but promising.