Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Saturday, July 14, 2007

(trying to) Sacrifice the Fatted Calves

The baby llamas hugging: one of the sights seen in the semi-fog of this week. The calves ballooned, the sleepiness returned, and has just left for a blessed respite. The legs are resuming somewhat human proportions. As at least one loyal reader emailed to see if I were still upright, I decided I'd better make a blog entry.
I received my "hearing aid" in the mail. I have been noticing what I am sure others have noticed, that my hearing is fading and at one recent social occasion I was missing nearly all the conversation. So I did Internet research. Remembering my disastrous adventure with contact lenses, I am loathe to spend big bucks until I have some inkling that I would benefit, use, enjoy, an aid. A printed t-shirt: SPEAK UP! might be a less costly remedy. I found a broad spectrum of opinion, one of which was Mead Killion's, that hearing aids are controlled by a closed shop. He has petitioned the FDA to open the shop. As he invented the damping circuit that is used in most hearing aids, he has some credibility. So I am starting at the low end. My $40 ampli-ear does make things clearer. Cosmetically it kind of sticks out but it might be a welcome distraction from the usual deformities people discern in my presence. Maybe a dab of fluorescent paint would help. Killion maintains that 'hunter hearing aids" sold in sporting goods stores at a reasonable price would meet the needs of millions and be one tenth the cost of fitted aids. So this journey will have chapters.
Posted by Picasa