Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Thursday, July 26, 2007

A Monsoon, Bwana, a Monsoon!

The rains came down and down. Then one leg of the power went out. Then we loaded up and headed to Riverton after turning the power off at the pole. The power company said they would call when the juice was restored-they didn't. Susie called and wondered if my power was out because theirs was and said Lander had much nicer weather and suggested I come home that way, as they had, foregoing the delays and the mud and muck on 17 Mile Road. Dined at the Golden Corral scoring a baked chicken breast for Buster, went to the Union Cellular Office where I learned my bagphone's days are numbered. Driving past the fairgrounds, the entire west side of them was a lake and firetrucks were pumping and clearing drains. The Wind River looked like springtime runoff. Drove in the rain toward Lander and was suddenly inspired to stop in Hudson Wyoming to do a load of laundry. That is a good little laundromat and I had the place to myself. It was rainy in Lander but not so much. There is standing water everywhere, roads, driveways, pastures, creeks are swollen, flood warnings are out. The power was restored according to Sue. I turned on the power at home and we were back in business. Sometimes when you don't go looking for adventure, adventure comes looking for you. My wheelbarrow was two/thirds full of rain water. The only gauge I have indicated a deluge and more is likely.