Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Total Eclipse

Well Gentle Reader, your erstwhile reporter resolved to stay up and photograph the Total Eclipse of the Moon last night. And he did. Thirty Eight Crap Photos. So I will tell you about it:
2:53 a.m: Big old full not quite harvest moon was really bright-like a shiny silver dollar only with W.C. Field's face on it. I was out on the edge of Hwy 137 with my nipples like raisins, teeth about to chatter, monopod braced, occasionally having to unzip the fly one-handed to relieve the diuretic machinations. ( I am anxiously looking for evidence of a sty today.) Over the next sixty minutes, the full orb became a mere crescent. I became an icicle. Went in to warm up and check my pictures. What didn't look like a comet, resembled fat marshmallows. Decided to change cameras (it had to be the camera, didn't it?). Batteries were dead on that camera- big search. Found some alkalines. Mounted the camera on the monopod, went outside to find the moon looking like a blood orange, though smaller than before. Really beautiful. Couldn't find it with the viewfinder. Finally just started clicking away in the general direction, each time the autofocus light would shine a bright green or yellow light into the air. That evidently alarmed the Indian neighbors because they decided to unleash their hounds who stood across the road and raised Holy Ned. 4:35 a.m. went to look at my new pix. Worse than the first. Fello into bed. Slept till noon. I got Eclipsed.