Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Thursday, September 06, 2007

Oh Great...a book review

The Harry Potter series is finished and I have finished it. Rowling kept faith with her readers-especially the young ones. This last volume had its great moments but it had its draggy parts. The author had some'splainin' to do. Throughout the series she had been dropping clues and she had two pretty lengthy sections to bring them together. Harry was also a bit of an ass at times-bits that I think were inserted for purposes of dramatic tension but which did not enhance the "boy wizard' concept which is of course the point of the series. She had to show his growth but it felt a little contrived.

I sometimes felt that more than any of the other books she was writing with the films in mind- either saying "this will be exciting on the screen" or "let's see them figure out how to do this!" There will be some swashbuckling moments- Lucas films needs to be at the ready, I think. I may miss here, not having seen a single one of the films.

The secret of the books' appeal? She can tell a story, she has some original twists to the old "questing form" e.g The Iliad and the Odyssey BUT, and this is the brilliant part. she empowered kids. In a worldwide culture that acts upon children, she had them rising above adult machinations- victimhood never took root in the victims. Heady stuff.

Pavarotti is dead. How lucky I was to live in his era. I like all kinds of music. Perhaps there is a bit of genetic stuff from my great grandpa Francisco Bosco who came to this country as harpist and even in his last days, as an Expressman at Union Station in Denver, would break into arias. Pavarotti could raise the hairs on my neck.

Speaking of music- Eve sent me some Audrey pix. Here is Audrey and her dad doing the funky chicken.