Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Friday, September 28, 2007

Tribute to a Grand-Dog



Son Matt had to bid farewell to his faithful friend Tucker yesterday. He was having a hard time getting up and was distressed, not eating, and it was time. So hard. My eyes are leaking, Matt's heart must be lead. The kind thing to do is not easy. When I took this picture after sharing my steak with Tucker in May of this year, I could see he was slowing down. This dog was an athlete and playing fetch with him had become slow-motion. He and Matt had a great run-14 years, many of which he was the sole companion. He great heartedly took in Cheryl often lying between them on the big bed until he got too warm. Then he started trying to edge Matt out. Then Audrey came and there were four in the bed for awhile. He was a watchful companion for her. How dogs enrich our lives! How empty it seems when they are gone. But they live on in our hearts and memories-forever. You were a good boy Tucker. Love you.

}--------------------------------------------------------------------------------{

I will go to Oregon in a few weeks to see Matt, Cheryl Audrey and Eve. Meantime, I am getting things squared away-somewhat, around here. It has seemed a little spendy what with license tags and battery-tenders for the vehicles that must remain home in the cold whilst Buster and I bask in Florida sunshine. The battery tenders were obtained off the Internet-$13.00 apiece cheaper than locally. They are installed and being tested. Criteria: durable, cheap to operate, effective, not necessarily in that order. The green van needs some mechanical attention. The Service soon light came on and scared the bejabbers out of me-you never know how much that is going to cost. Brother Rich gave me some tips and they resulted in no more flashing lights but the rig is not running as smoothly as it should so it has an appointment with the mechanic. Better to "get 'er done" here than in Kansas or Mississippi.

Rich invited me down to a final go-around with the Russians yesterday but I decided to stay home. It was a new group and being one vehicle down makes you examine the margin for error. He and Val have had a wonderful time with them, marveled at their capacity to drink (and went right along with them) and I think have become a little more globally aware as have I.

I bought a glucose testing meter and have been taking my blood sugar readings which are high. I have been curious if the highs and lows and spontaneous sleep, and ankle swelling are sugar related. Diabetes is one of the scourges of our family. From what I can see so far, is I am high: pre-diabetic range but nothing over 200 yet. 100 is normal. I am hitting in the 160 range. The testing is negligibly painful. I will have data for my doc when I go for the annual in November. I like to leave town with prescriptions in hand and if not with a clean bill of health, at least a plan.
Posted by Picasa