Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Sunday, September 30, 2007

Meet Wily Coyote

I finally laid eyes on the resident Coyote-the one who sings close to the house. I think I saw him years ago when he was smaller. This guy is pretty big. He was sauntering across the pasture. He belongs to the landscape because he passed within ten feet of Pete-the buck Llama and they merely looked at each other and continued their business. Buster and I barked at him and he quickly turned toward us and hunkered down-virtually disappearing which gave me time to fetch the camera. He was pretty relaxed but when I wondered if he were tame and started calling him like a dog, he trotted off toward the copse down by the pond. He passed through the mama llamas and their babies as a trusted visitor-they didn't even get up. He ducked down into a creek bed to hide his departure.

I checked the National Geographic site about coyotes and learned that the singing is a territorial thing-just like the neighborhood dogs bark at night to signal their territory and to keep others away. Now when I hear him singing, I will know he is keeping the status quo. As he evidently has the approval of the cows and llamas, I wish him well and hope others do too. We could do so much worse with younger coyotes who don't know know the rules on this little patch. He could be Buster's grandpa. We'll treat him as a member of the family in any case.

I found a dark Calico Cat has taken up residence in the old chicken coop. Suits me. Also declines to come when called. The solar stuff I added to use the coop for a starter place for plants will keep it warm(er) in the winter. Eat them vermin, little kitty.

Jason called this evening-we had a good long chat. Things are good in Florida. Always makes me smile to talk with my kids.
Posted by Picasa