Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Monday, October 15, 2007

Taking This Show on the Road for a bit

Either I am in an unprecedented state of readiness, or the brain corpsuckles (as my old friend Mike Wilson used to say) have let me down. I'll let you know. Saw a quote on the Forbes magazine website: "Take twice the cash and half the clothes." Destination Oregon where not only the residents of that state will be, but by happy coincidence, the Floridians will be. We have been fortunate in so dispersed a family to enjoy a get-together about once a year. Nonetheless, I stopped at K-Mart to buy unmentionables-God forbid I am in an accident and am discovered with dingy drawers-when in reality, if I am in an accident, there may well be lumps!

I got a flu shot at K-Mart- $28.00 which I do not regard as a deep discount but it sure was handy and the nurse was an artist with the needle. She kept having to tell people she was done.

I talked Thayne into sighting in the scope on my .22 rifle. He and Thomas enjoyed themselves plinking. I surely appreciate having this done. The llamas are now in the pasture with cows-should be safer as cows band together to attack in the face of danger. Sue called to tell me she shot at a black dog but only succeeded in scaring it to the river. Guy told me Hollis dispatched a stray black dog today. One and the same? I have pangs about being able to shoot a dog but then I think of the llama's face and know it must be done. Shame on the people who do not manage their dogs.

It is strange that domestic, or formerly domestic, canines are causing this grief and the resident coyote is not. Turns out Harlan is of the same mind as I am about Wily. He follows Harlan when he is running the swather. He pounces on the mice that are dislodged- a benefit to the farmer. In fact, there is a whole array of gleaners that follow the swather, seagulls and ravens love to clean up the bugs and mice too.

Hope to have some pictures for you next time from on the road and Oregon. Memory-Making is in the offing as opposed to memory-making. They are all good (well, mostly).