Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Chugging Along

I am always a little bit surprised how much more time consuming the tasks of daily living are in metropolitan areas. Lake Worth is not even very metropolitan but grocery shopping and hardware and so forth are time consuming and much more complicated than in rural Wyoming. Still, there is an element of adventure and this year I feel completely comfortable setting out without the Garmin turned on-I still pack it with me mind you.

Took the bike cruising a couple of times yesterday and picked up my mail... The USPS has a new forwarding service that does not expire and resembles the scheme I put together last year. They throw everything in a priority mail box on Wednesday and it evidently arrives here the following Monday. It is only a couple of bucks more than the postage and does not involve any intermediaries. Very satisfactory.

I have accumulated enough staples to successfully make dinner- and I cooked some pork chops yesterday- dogs got one apiece. Goody seems thin to me and Buster is skinnier than when we left. Sat on the grass with the old dog and she put her head on my lap and soaked up the attention. Bless her heart.

Bought my first Lotto ticket ever today. It is up to $6 million which is not unusual for the Florida Lottery. I am not typically a gambler but reading the Palm Beach Post about winners in the past few months did cause the "somebody has to win," idea to cross my mind. We will see. ( See, I am going to hell in a handbasket, already.)

Washed half of the coach this afternoon after a trip to Home Depot for cheap hoses. Why half? Because it was dirty. Stored near I-95 it had some streaks that needed considerable scrubbing. I will get the other half tomorrow morning. Mother Nature is giving it a second rinse this evening. Sultry is the right word.