Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Settling in

Spent some time at Lori and Jason's Tuesday a.m. to meet my adorable and energetic grandpuppy, Juneau. He is a cream colored Lab who likes to swim in his pool and will wear you and himself out playing. A craftsman was installing the kitchen vent which looks like it could raise a turkey off the stove. The kitchen is coming together and the master bath is within sight of being finished. Don't forget we are in "service hell" here in South Florida. It will be a jewel box of a home when complete. So what if it has been a year. Lori could write a book on dealing with subcontractors. Jason was flying out Tuesday night for a week in Palm Springs- the other coast so we met at the Quarterdeck, a few blocks from their home for dinner. It was a little cool to eat outside (rainy day) so the waitress seated us by a big sliding window so we had the best of both. Food was good. I had chores in that neck of the woods, too. Got a standard keyboard to use with the laptop because the laptop keyboard drives me to distraction. Took the bike in for its "FREE" six-month tuneup at the shop where I bought it. I am anxious to begin training again.

Met my neighbors- Jim and his wife are full-timers who used to live in the area and are here doing their medical checkups until December is over. They have a Cheetah diesel coach which is very elegant. He seems nice and I have not met his wife. The dog is a plump chihuahua-terrier mix with a a protective personality. They rescued it from a life lived in a bathroom and he is the apple of their eye.

The other neighbor is one of the good Quebecois-he had a hilarious big fluffy white dog last year-personality plus. I asked about her and learned "she had cancer in the mammals and it went to her lunges so the Vet shot her." So sad even at age 13. But, he speaks and smiles and seems to have separated himself from the merde de poullet Quebecois who are down in the new section of the park this year. I am glad I passed on that section- they are packed in like sardines down there. I have a nice yard here.

Today I spent time under, inside, next to, and on top of the coach, reinstalling sunshades, trying to fix the air-ride (the compressor runs constantly, bringing the battery down) removing the sun protection dust covers and window coverings, going to the grocery store for ketchup, mustard, mayo, butter, and all those things I pitched in the spring. Bought the small sizes because of that factor and the refrigerator is small-it is a live and learn life here in the vagabond world. Watched Oprah, took a nap. Life is good. Supposed to get down to 69 degrees this weekend. Brrr.