Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Sunday, December 03, 2006

Eating up the Miles

We passed through Vicksburg, Mississippi and still felt pretty good So we went on to Jackson. Blundered off the path in Jackson but I knew where I was as I drove past the transmission shop that replaced the motorhome transmission. One thing has not changed-the rudest drivers in the world live in Jackson. Saw a bumpersticker: I am NOT speeding, I am Qualifying. Amen brother. This little adventure had us wide awake and wanting to distance ourselves from Jackson so we headed for Hattiesburg about midnight. The Van was chalk white from all the Texas and Oklahoma slush and mud and I found an open carwash about 2:00 A.M. Slicked up the van and scared the devil out of Buster but we arrived in Gulfport in about an hour and headed directly to Wal-Mart for a nap. The chill awakened me so I bought gas and coffee and we headed on, taking another nap in a rest stop where the heat awakened me. I called Jason and said it would be a Monday arrival in Florida. We had a pretty good nap in Quincy, Florida where we have slept before at the Flying -J. Breakfast buffet and gigantic pigs in the blanket for travel fare. Goodie was tired of traveling and started to punish me by declining to eat. (She has since recovered) We zoomed into Lake Worth late on Sunday and slept in front of the storage place for the Motorhome.