Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Friday, December 01, 2006

Somewhere North of Dallas, TX

A lot of traveling since yesterday morning-many miles. We rock and rolled from Riverton to Rawlins with terrific winds-none in a helpful direction. It took more than a quarter of a tank of gas to get to Rawlins. As is my wont we left I-80 at Walcott and enjoyed a nearly solitary trip to Laramie on old highway 30. That is the way to go. Just enough traffic to reassure that if you break down, someone will be along in 30 minutes or so. Laramie to North Platte was pleasant and straightforward although the temperatures were plummeting-to 13 degrees at 10:30 central standard time.

There were a couple truckers-same uniform shirt, standing outside the Flying J as I prepared to move on. The younger asked the older if he wanted him to break wind for him. I had two flashes: "Gee, these Nebraskans are sure polite!" The second was "I have some prowess in this department and perhaps the family, if not the state of Wyoming's honor was at risk" so..... Well it was an impressive effort if not my best. Alas! I got such a look. Seems that without an advanced degree from the University of Wyoming the double entendre was lost on them.
Oh well, we made a memory.

I was feeling fine so I pressed on going to York, Nebraska and being mindful of the pursuing storm pressed on arriving at the Flying J near Salina, Kansas about 6:30 a.m. I had the breakfast buffet and tooks some stuff for the pups-I only did one plate so have a clear conscience about that. Naptime.

We drove on to Wichita and needed another little nap. Donna called and I thankd her for her timely advice to avoid Denver because the Rocky Mountain News I picked up had a front page picture and story about the traffic foul-up in Denver.

From Wichita south things started to deteriorate. My plan was good but the aftermath of the storms in Kansas and Oklahoma was snow, slush, and crazy driving. More than forty cars in the ditch. In Oklahoma City...to be continued this connection is acting up