Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Saturday, December 09, 2006

Christmas Came Early

Lori called mid-morning yesterday to say my packages had arrived. I neglected to mention that I stopped in Sidney, Nebraska at Cabela's and admired my own restraint for getting out of there only $250.oo lighter. I had them ship two sturdy XL zero gravity outdoor lounge chairs to the kid's house. I had also used their address to receive side curtains for my awning so perhaps the doggies can be outside more in an enclosed area.

We tried Augy's Italian restaurant for lunch (dumb waitress, fresh ripe veggies on the salad bar, lasagna and spaghetti about 6 on a scale of 10, garlic rolls 8 on the same scale). Lori is good company. Doggies had Italian dinner last night, too. Also picked up my bike after its tuneup while in Boynton.

The Christmas present was from my bank. I had ignored for years my Wells-Fargo Reward points and so had accumulated in excess of 40,000. I discovered before I left Wyoming that some points would expire at the end of year so went online to choose a premium. A Bose Wave Radio II arrived yesterday and it is everything they claim. I had coveted this "too pricey to buy item" for years and as this is the updated model I am pleased to have it. Excellent sound and reception and a great selection of stations in south Florida.

So I am surrounded by toys. Ride the bike, doze outdoors and listen to tunes. Windy and grey today but one out of three isn't bad. Better weather to come, not that I am complaining about 70 degrees and rain showers on December 9.

PBS is doing their pledge drive here-probably all over and as usual the programs are outstanding. Enjoyed a marathon of Country Music classics, Doo-Wop,and Pink Floyd. PBS is pushing the idea that they are preserving the culture of the country and I buy into it. While I don't seek Country music as a rule it is amazing how many of the songs make up the soundtrack of my life. Same with the doo-wop. Seeing my age peers in the audiences singing along and dancing in their chairs or the aisles taps into the reality we were young and beautiful outside once. Though the husks are worn, the seeds are alive and well on the inside. I was amazed how well some of those old performers looked and sang. "In the jungle, the mighty jungle, the lion sleeps ..."