Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Wednesday, April 07, 2010

To sleep: perchance to dream

Fine weather: cool nights, warm days, little wind. These are the days I was looking for last November. The population in the park is dwindling. Lots of space and I am loving it. I have been doing projects, whether they are getting ready to go or to return is debatable. I re-camped after going crazy with a grommet kit. I put grommets on the awning sides and the shower curtains I use for shade and privacy. Gradually things are getting into places they can be stowed.

My gut drives me crazy. Clearly there is fat there but it often feels like a drum head. So I started putting a pillow under it and am sleeping on my stomach. Seems to promote tooting and morning regularity as well as a less pregnant profile. That is to the good. An unanticipated consequence is crazy dreams. These are real adventures with problems to solve-sometimes zany. They are lighter fare than usual and usually enjoyable.

Therese called yesterday. She had arrived in Montreal and went directly to an Emergency Room. Rene seemed to her to becoming more lost on the way home. She drove it all. She slept at the hospital the first night and spent last night at home. He had several tests and more were scheduled for this morning. She expects to know something by tomorrow. They found something in his brain-whether it is a lesion or cyst or cancer will be determined by MRI. I am relieved they are safely home and Rene is under care. I can do nothing at this remove. I'm very fond of our little band of gypsies. (Aside: I googled the hospital. Family and friends are allowed (Only one at a time) to stay on a cot in the hospital room with the patient. This seems so humane and natural. A good custom.)

I called Nicole to tell her Therese was home because Tuesday was her birthday and she wanted to call her. Nicole called back and gave me a similar recap on Rene. She also said, though the foliage was extraordinary on the west coast near Naples and Sarasota, the mosquitoes were eating them alive. After dusk they must be inside. Pictures will be sent.

Buster seems to be fading. He was complaining last night and inert so I got on the floor to comfort him. Honey jumped past us to chase a coon and Buster had a resurrection. He is doing a little better today. I have been picking cockleburs off of the girl all day long. Cooked them liver tonight. Bless my loyal companions.

Cheryl, my Oregon daughter-in-law, lost her job today along with about 80 others at Harry and David's. That is a blow-it was a good job with benefits.