Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Saturday, January 30, 2010

More like it

The past two days have been beautiful in the weather department. Promised rain today never materialized this afternoon. I went down to Robert and Moe's to enjoy their firepit for awhile tonight. It's pretty neat. Honey was/is having a fit about a marauding cat or coon. It paid a visit last night but found nothing to eat.

Not so for me-the diet resolution didn't last 24 hours. Joyce had collected copies of a local newspaper with coupons so several of us went to the Rum Shack for the early bird special on Friday. I had a decent tuna steak and otherwise ate wisely but it was no soup diet. Lake Worth is fun downtown, all day long and into the night. Music in the open air bars, shops open, all manner of people and dogs, mingle and wander. We went to Bali-my favorite import place. Joyce is a shopper/spender. Scouted some gew-gaws for Lori's birthday Monday.

Today I ran the dog and waited until 11:00 when the shop opened and made some purchases for Lori and a thank you gift for Marcia. I went to the Green Market in the beach parking lot. I was too late for the bread. I bought some olives-Greek and otherwise, for Rene-a little gift as he admitted to a fondness for them. I saw Rene, Terese, Andre and Nicole on the fitness trail and presented the olives. Terese said, "Come for lunch, I will make a salad. Nicole contributed some chicken for it, I had five Corona beers and so provisioned we proceeded to have a party. Interesting conversation and wit. Andre is a stitch. Very sharp.

In the afternoon I was reading a book on my Kindle. Gary came by and I gave him my remaining beer. Joyce came on her bicycle. Gary bought it for her this morning at the Flea Market and spent the afternoon rehabilitating it. It is a great bike for $35.00. They were both pleased.

I stepped out of the coach tonight and instead of the usual knee twinge, something gave. It is a little swollen but not really painful. We'll see what tomorrow brings.