Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Reflections

It is mostly sweet, but a little bittersweet, to realize that not only have your children surpassed you in their achievements at their ages but have surpassed you period. Of course, I have been rushing to simplify, to distill, what is important to me and not worry about the rest, for some time. To see them set up in fine homes, with satisfying, if not perfect lives-everybody has crosses to bear, with their own wisdom, skills, perspective, and prospects is really very nice. That I like, respect, enjoy, and admire them as people, is really the icing on the cake.

It is a little liberating to see them independently successful but also a little bit sad to see my own role fading into into irrelevance, except as cheerleader and admirer. Liberating because such competence instills confidence that they likely will be just fine whether I linger a short while or longer, and that I need not worry so much. Like Mission Control, what is launched, is launched, their orbit is their own. There is satisfaction that the engineering was mostly sound but not much that can be done now but admire from a distance. It has ever been thus, I suppose, but I have not experienced it before.

Matt cooked an excellent dinner for five last night-broccoli, fresh squash, barbecued chicken- not a morsel left. Our little Audrey is a good eater, too.

Miss Honey awoke me at 4:00 a.m. urgently wanting to go out. I sweetly complied thinking she had probably just seen or heard a cat because she will not relieve herself except at Matt's but she had the poops and was a good girl to let me know. I left her at Matt's the other day and I guess she sat at the gate (and scratched it) trying to find me. She is a funny one. Very nonchalant about affection when I am near but apparently committed.

Brother Rich just called- back from San Antonio, Alamo re-creations, riverwalk, excellent mariachi bands, house tours, Nally's bar to throw peanut shells on the floor and listen to a piano player who sang naughty songs- an excellent time. Val is so good for him. He has gone and done more since they have dated and married than in all of his previous 50 some years put together. He just sounded up and enthusiastic.

Jason and Lori are on a cruise with bus tours of the Northeast U.S. to see the fall colors. An anniversary celebration. Will I get pictures?

This will be my last full day here-on the road tomorrow. Great visit and we will all gather in Florida for a reunion in February.