Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Sunday, September 28, 2008

In Search of Some Color

Extraordinarily, we have not yet had a hard freeze which by this time of year has normally sent the leaves into riots of color. We are having some golds here in the valley. I thought higher up will surely be more color. And there was but not much more. Click on these pictures to see them enlarged. The excursion was pretty much an impulse. I had enough of purposeful activity and just needed a field trip- I had already declared a holiday but had not acknowledged it. The dogs loaded and seemed to enjoy the outing. Buster saw too many horses and big dogs in the canyon and asked to just take a nice nap in the van. So he got to do that. Honey was at the end of a taut leash the whole time which made taking pictures kind of difficult but we managed to have a nice walk. She slept in the van on the way home. That was good.

We had lunch on the way to the Canyon. Cheesewheels, which are a local specialty of an independent drive-in, The Dairy Dee-Lite, in Lander are a rare treat. They are essentially all cholesterol and salt but very tasty. A good hamburger pattie, a piece of cheese, a dip in a batter, and a swim in a deep fat fryer yields a cheesewheel. I had a lemonade. Mr. D's grocery store has quality produce of some kind most of the time. I bought four tree-ripened Utah peaches and was on my way home when
I bit into the first one. It was so good it brought tears to my eyes. A nice Sunday treat of a day.

Posted by Picasa