Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Monday, November 19, 2007

When You Come to the End of a Perfect Day and the bed ain't made

Paid more to stay at the Quality Inn after the "volunteer" ($5.00 tip) who washed my windshield said the Motel 6 was "drug infested." Opened the door on the last room to stripped beds, no towels used, cup for an ashtray. Called Keesha, the night clerk- and told her I was an "old cowboy from Wyoming" and could make do-just don't blame me for no bedding. Looked assiduously for signs of "hot monkey love" not from a prurient standpoint but for hygienic reasons. I think we are ok. Buster has had a good scratch on both mattress pads-so there!

I asked the owner of the Radio Shack where I was this morning. He was taken aback then admitted he never knew what day it was. Turns out I spent the night in Marion, Illinois. Also got an oil change there from a kid who grew up in Cheyenne. I left there about 10:00 a.m.

The Garmin took me far and away from the route I plotted at home which was mostly along Interstates-which I am not crazy about unless pressed for time. We went through the most picturesque parts of Kentucky, Tennessee and Alabama- not a single picture was taken because the roads were good but too narrow to allow stops. Mostly highway 41-we went past Army Posts-Fort Campbell, KY- home of the Screaming Eagles and another in Alabama. The hills rolled-the fall foliage was crimson and gold and brown and the fields and lawns were green. One place would be a ramshackle house where you might expect to see a granny smoking a corn-cob pipe on the porch, the next, a massive brick pile of recent construction with a Dodge Ram diesel and a Lexus, the next a mobile home, decrepit barns dotted the hillsides. All peacefully co-exist-the kind of eclecticism I love. General Stores, generally selling beer and gasoline, were strung out between historic old towns- some thriving, some dying. Washed the Van at some little burg with the most generous washer timer I have ever seen. The other drivers were mostly polite and safe-even when it was bumper to bumper practically from Birmingham to Montgomery AL. Had phone calls from Matt, Jason and Rich. It really was an enjoyable drive.