Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Friday, November 09, 2007

High Anxiety

Long ago I gave up on controlling anybody but myself but I am accustomed to being in control of myself and my circumstances within reasonable limits. I usually get anxious when I don't know what is going to happen but for this trip, I am anxious about what I know will happen. I have plotted two major routes and am now weighing pro's and con's of both. There are a couple of advantages to both but the anxiety part is weighing which of the Snake Pits I have to traverse. The northern route is 3 hours and 180 miles shorter, has some serious mountain driving, and offers a chance to glimpse brother Bob and his new house.The snake pits are St. Louis and Atlanta. The southern route has snakepits Denver and Dallas but is pretty flat and easy driving. Being of a certain age and needing to get horizontal in order to keep me from settling in my ankles, I am resigned to not sleeping in the car this time-sometimes. Motel 6's are reliable pet friendly, though austere, stops. The Flying J's are mapped out. Each route will take a grueling 13 hours first day to escape the gravitational pull of Wyoming. It is about a 40 hour drive in all-with no stops. (Ha, Ha, Buster and I both need our stops.) I will mull for a couple of days. Check the weather forecasts.


Meanwhile, I have called my favorite cheap cigs place in Florida-no change in price. When I took the motorhome down I had hundreds of dollars of contraband only to discover I could have purchased them cheaper in Florida. I have downloaded PDF documents for Flying J. With gas prices being what they are-those discounts help. It isn't that I can't afford to go but it gravels me to pay through the nose for some things- ($90 for a nap and a crap? $3.00 per gallon?). I have better things to do with my money. I could get something with batteries for that kind of cash, dinner for three at Two Georges, an annual pass at the Zoo. You takes your choices, and pays your money, to turn the old phrase.
Posted by Picasa