Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Thursday, March 23, 2006

Rainy Day

Severe thunderstorms have ruined the dogs' day. As for me, I set about doing the outside stuff early, biked over to order the honey wagon and discussed business with Richard and others several times before the storm hit. The satellite dish is put away, lawn furniture stowed and from outward appearances I am ready to ride off into the sunset. Inside, I am getting there. Working around clingy dogs has complicated things a little. Wish I could just put them out in the yard while I run the vacuum cleaner, scrub up, etc. But I can't. The van organization is taking shape but requiring some ingenuity and attention to balancing load. In any case, if tasks are addressed steadily, things can easily come together by Sunday morning. A rainy day is a good day to do the inside jobs. This trip home will be a heavy load because coming down here, space was not an issue. Some things need to go home to stay.

Lori, Jason and I had a nice (Italian) dinner last night. They were back from Colorado Springs and were a sight for sore eyes. We were headed to our homes by 8:30 pm. They are such nice people. I would adore them even if we didn't belong to each other.

Lori leaves for White Deer, TX Sunday to asist her mum who has had knee surgery and will be coming home. They will assist me getting settled in the storage yard. I have seen my spot and think I am prepared. Funny feelings leaving my cozy little home away from home.

I have established a game plan that will ease the parting pangs. I will drive up the west coast of Florida which I only glimpsed when we went to Naples. Then I will visit Marilu- a West Virginia friend in Weeki Wachee Gardens, FL. She is an "up person" and I will finally get to meet Howard. Tuesday or Wednesday I will bolt Florida and try to see what is left of my old haunts in Mississippi on the way home. (All plans subject to change by weather, whim or the unforeseen.)

A hundred pound white furball named Goody is on my feet. She hurt my feelings tonight. In an attempt to use up some staples, I made macaroni and cheese with real Parmesan cheese. She pushed that dish from one end of the motorhome to the other. I finally ended up picking the Macaroni out so she would eat the chicken. Yes, I am a softy, but the food contains the medications so she must eat on a schedule. I am starting to feel pain from her weight so must push the button, send this into cyberspace and move. Posted by Picasa