Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Monday, December 26, 2005

The Parties are Over

The parties are over and what nice parties they were: Cocktail party at David's house on the 22nd. Mostly work associates but some others attended. The house is very nice, the host and hostess gracious and kind, the guests cosmopolitan. "Peace on Earth" could have been the theme. For all the partisan nastiness in the world, attendees represented in some degree, Turks, East Indians, Iranians, Brazilians, Blacks, Hispanics, and goodness knows what all else. All personable, smart, charming and kind. It was very interesting and pleasant. Great canapes produced by a hard working chef, fine wine, a baby grand player piano, and things to do and see.

Christmas Eve found us at the same venue for a dinner party in the pool verandah. This mix was more family and close friends and once again I was welcomed warmly by virtue of being Jason's dad. The food delicious, the service outstanding- enjoyed the many kids as well as contemporaries. Families are amazing and interesting. They all have their characters and personalities.

As nice as these parties were, the one that touched my heart the most took place right here in John Prince Campground on Christmas day. Jason came with all the fixings for a feast including mashed potatoes from scratch. Just us kids as Lori was in Texas where mom and her Grannies depend on her for their Christmas celebrations. Cooking, and listening to my iPod over the coach speakers- a lot of the music that is important to me was also important to Jason so we bopped around and mouthed the words. Lori had released a generous slab of King Salmon she caught in Alaska this summer and we fired up the grill. Baby asparagus, canape's that hit all the right spots. We passed a delightful and memorable Christmas before he stuffed my refrigerator with all sorts of left-overs which have seen me through this day. Matt called to tell us about Christmas in Oregon. Eve fixed them a prime rib for Christmas Eve and they were getting ready to deep fry a turkey. Little Audrey enjoyed her first Christmas -video is promised. Jason invited me to another party-Texas Hold 'em Poker with his witty friends but I just wanted to savor my nice day and hold on to my money so I sent him off for a "boy's night out."
Emailed friends. The doggies ate well and got an extra walk and a scratch. Talked to Rich. The Casper Christmas was good. Still smiling.

Today has been productive. Got a lot of cleaning and re-organizing done. Got some Hawaii pix from Richard including the rescue. He is doing a CD. Lori is flying in tonight. I took a picture of the unfortunate airplane that landed with wheels up right here in my backyard. Neighbor Barry pulled out for central Florida where they live-they brought their coach down to spend the holidays with their kids too.