Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

A Hutch but no Rabbits

Lew and Greg traded up to a great place! Their Florida home is a modular-two bedroom (at least) two bath, with Florida Room and very well kept. For them the economics work out better than their RV and they have good space. Greg is itching to get his tools (toys) down from NY and Lew is facilitating his folks move to assisted living. Big downsize, there. Hence "the hutch" which holds many of his mother's treasured pieces. They went to a consignment shop and pretty much furnished the place for $2000.00. It is very comfortable.

J.J. picked her corner and wanted to show me her toy. I love those dogs. They are my buds. I wish they got along with my dogs. Honey and Pupper play well but the other two get alarmed.
Greg in the Florida room. There is a daybed in the corner. This great place costs them only $800.00 a month-lease purchase. Since the lot rent in this secure, gated community is $720, they are getting the house for $80.00. Pretty damn good deal. If I come back to John Prince next year the lot rent is $812.00 and I have to bring my own house. When I first started coming to JPP it was $480.00. The county hasn't heard there is a recession and other accommodations are cheap.

I left them to go to Midas to get my tires balanced and rotated. It was a screw job from the get-go. First they told me it had a tie rod problem. $1000.00 part. I said "no way." Then they told me they misdiagnosed it and it needed upper and lower ball joints- $1200.000. Then they told me it was wheel bearings and shocks and I could get by for $720.00 Then I told them to give me my Van back I was going to get a second opinion. Jim, one of the maintenance men here, says Pep Boys is a good place to go. We shall see. Bad, bad taste in my mouth over Midas.

I am terrible about my mail. Almost all my business is via internet these days. I opened several months of forwarded mail, disposed of about thirty pounds of junk mail and catalogs. If there is a website, I don't need the catalogs. There is about two pounds of real mail and some magazines. I'm looking forward to reading my Christmas cards. I have those pretty much winnowed down, though. When I am in the tropics Christmas isn't real. I haven't been sending any for several years.
Posted by Picasa