Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Saturday, November 08, 2008

Psychopathic Bitch

We are uncharacteristically subdued today. I have been battling a low-grade bug for weeks. In the bitter cold yesterday Buster and Honey went after an itinerant dog and Buster strained his gimpy leg and is acting like a tripod. He has had runny eyes for a couple of days besides. I've been pumping the Benadryl to him for the eyes and it sedates him. Vet on Monday if he is not well. Earlier today a Boxer bitch and the German Shepherd that live across the street came clear into our yard looking for trouble. The Boxer was completely psychopathic-its owner was standing in the street having a fit and she completely ignored me as well. She went after Honey and Honey was on the run. Buster wasn't backing down but he was no match. Then the real Alpha dog entered the fray. I pitched my full water bottle at the Boxer and she didn't even flinch when it hit. Then I got my clothesline pole and with an all-out aggressive attack, shouting and hitting it, she finally retired from the field. It did not whimper, or yelp or cower in the process and I got in a couple of pretty good licks. It was scary to see such an emotionless purposeful aggressive attack in our territory.

The aftermath may be largely positive. Honey does seem to truly realize who is Alpha- she has been close all the rest of today. I am not unhappy that she was cowed and did not incur injuries in the process. I do not need any hyper-protective dogs. A few alerting barks are just fine. One major domo around here will do.